Monday, November 21, 2011

20 Days of Giving

Just in time for the holidays we're studying The Genius of Generosity in Sunday school.  Yesterday we were challenged to do or give something to someone everyday for 20 days and note the progress.  So, after putting off this blog for entirely too long, I've decided this is the perfect opportunity to start writing again, even if it isn't what I thought I would be writing about.

As a matter of fact, I didn't know what to write about, which is why I hadn't blogged for so long.  Would I blog about motherhood, my new adventures in homeschooling our 7-year-old,  politics, life in general, or maybe about trying to be a Proverbs 31 wife.  I didn't want to be limited myself to one subject, but I also didn't want to have an aimless forum that could easily turn into mindless venting, which would inevitably leave me feeling frustrated and/or justified in feeling sorry for myself.  Me, me, me!   That's what I don't want this to be about.

While I'm not a wise old soul, I find it amazing that that is exactly who God wants us to become in our short lives on this earth.  He wants us so desperately to be full of His wisdom, to know how much we mean to Him, and to spread that love and knowledge to others.



In our short time in this Bible study, I've already gotten a glimpse of how generosity can transform hearts and lives, and I'm not talking about the hearts and minds of the receivers, I'm talking about the hearts and minds of the givers.  My first "light bulb" nugget of genius is this:  Giving isn't just generosity to others, it's also giving to God.  Have you given Him your hopes and dreams?  Has He told you "no" to any of them, or maybe, "not now"?  It's hard to hear and even harder to accept.  But, I'm finding tremendous freedom and joy in it.  I know that a No from Him is what's best for me, and I just have to trust Him with that.  It was really, really hard.

And so starts the 20-day journey.  I'm excited to see what God has in store.  Are you?

Stay tuned :)